Man flees from police, crashes in Custer

Published on Thu, Nov 13, 2003
Read More News

Man flees from police, crashes in Custer

A man was arrested early Friday morning after leading authorities on a high speed chase, involving six agencies and ending in a crash in Custer.

A Blaine police officer working alone saw a vehicle being driven by a man with a suspended license, and attempted to stop the vehicle on Peace Portal Drive, near Hughes Avenue. The driver, Steven D. Glenn, 32, failed to yield and fled south from Blaine, according to Blaine police chief Mike Haslip. Glenn lives on Badger Road near Sumas.

The officer was able to keep in sight of the vehicle, as it attempted to elude police by driving recklessly south to the Birch Bay-Lynden Road and then east, Haslip said. After crashing through a railroad barricade near Peace Portal Drive and Loomis Trail Road, the vehicle turned off Birch Bay-Lynden Road onto West 30th Crescent, near the Custer Sportsman Club.

�Even then the car did not stop,� Haslip said. �It kept going until it crashed into an abandoned travel trailer parked on the road. The driver and a passenger then fled from the vehicle into the woods.�

A perimeter was then established around the area by the Blaine officers, assisted by several U.S. border patrol agents, U.S. customs officers, and more than six Whatcom County sheriff�s deputies.

�After a search lasting over an hour, Blaine police K-9 Yoschi lead officers to the driver,� Haslip said, �who not only surrendered to officers, but asked for help as he was very cold from hiding in a tree that he had climbed to avoid detection.�

Personnel from North Whatcom Fire and Rescue Services district 13 treated Glenn at the scene and released him to police. He was arrested and processed at the Blaine police department and reports are being forwarded to the Whatcom County Prosecutor for review and charging as appropriate, Haslip said.

Glenn�s passenger, John Calene, 42, of Maplewood Avenue in Bellingham, who has multiple warrants for his arrest, was also was located at the scene. U.S. border patrol agents found him as he attempted to leave the perimeter area. Officers were not able to book him into Whatcom County Jail as it was at capacity.