Birch Bay couple seeks help after fire
A Birch Bay couple whose home and belongings were recently destroyed in an electrical fire are seeking help in removing their former trailer from a Birch Bay RV park.
James Costan, 69, a three-year resident of the Birch Bay Resort Park, said a fire caused by a plug-in heater destroyed his 33-foot Alpenlite Trailer on January 11 along with their belongings and approximately $4,000 in cash, which he and his wife had been saving for a trip.
Costan said he and his wife Judy had been at the park for a few days and the furnace wouldn’t turn on so he bought a plug-in heater that eventually caught fire.
“It kept going on and off and then all of a sudden there was smoke coming out from behind the TV,” he said. “I watched my whole life savings go up in flames in 15 minutes.”
Costan said the couple tried to extinguish the flames but by the time they got their pets out of the trailer, it was too late.
“You might as well as had a squirt gun to put the fire out by then,” he said.
He said one Whatcom County individual has already donated a small trailer for the couple to live in but that officials from the resort park want the other trailer removed by February 9.
In the meantime, Costan said he and his wife – along with their two cats and Australian shepherd dog – are staying with his daughter in Bellingham. Costan said he hopes someone would be able to help him remove the trailer by that time. Donations can also be made to their account at Key Bank in Ferndale under the name of J.L. Costan.
As of press time, he said one Whatcom County individual had already donated $50 into the account.
“I wanted to send them a really good thank you letter, but they wanted to remain anonymous,” he said.
Costan can be reached by calling 820-5008.