Young at heart
Now that April has gone her way, let us celebrate the month of May. Our Blaine Senior Center had a great April and more interesting activities are coming up in May and even plans for a wonderful summer.
• Turtle Robb is the coordinator for the 7th Street community garden and our community center will have a large plot. Contact Turtle at our center if you think you might want to plant in it. Blaine horticulture students will help with the labor this summer. A garden meeting will be held on Tuesday, May 8, at 6:30 pm.
• Bocce Ball kick-off at Bender Field in Lynden will be May 16, 10 am to 2 pm. Bocce players from all the senior centers will come together for this big event. This is an informal just-for-fun day, to provide a start to the Bocce Ball season. Teams will be formed on the spot. Why not come out and enjoy the sunshine and fun? There is a sign-up sheet in our office. We can organize car pooling to help you get there. A nutrition meal will be available at noon.
• Dance to the music of the ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s with local musicians “Double Trouble.” Saturday afternoon May 26, 2 to 4 pm. No charge for admission, however, donations are appreciated. Everybody is welcome!
• Our Volunteer Appreciation Party is Thursday, May 31. We appreciate our many loyal volunteers. Many long hours are donated to our center to make it such a welcoming, active center.
• Kayak Trips in Semiahmoo Bay will be June 12, July 17, and August 15. The kayaks are made for two people, and are very stable. The kayaks and coach are provided by Whatcom County Parks. There will be staff from our center to help. Cost is $15.
• Our theater group presented the skit, “Happily Ever After” to the Everson Senior Center folks. Everybody had such a good time, who knows, maybe Mt. Vernon Senior Center will be next!
• Line Dancing for beginners is at 9:30 a.m., and the regular class follows at 10.
• The Cancer Support Group is also at 10.
• Bowling for fun, is the first and third Monday, at 2pm. At Mt. Baker Lanes in Ferndale. This is always fun, and car pooling is available.
• Regular May board meeting is Monday, May 14 at 12:30 pm.
• For your health’s sake join in with the stretch exercise class with Dolly, Tuesday and Thursdays, at 9:30 a.m.
• We are back to playing Bocce ball again, depending upon the weather. Let’s get out and enjoy the exercise and wonderful sunshine.
• Small Bible study group meets at 10:30, you are welcome.
• Painting class at 1 p.m. We have some nice paintings on display at the center. Many of them are for sale at reasonable prices.
• Garden meeting Tuesday, May 8 at 6:30 p.m.
• Pool tournaments are Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays at 9 a.m.
• Annual board meeting is Tuesday, May 15 at noon. Ballots will be available at the annual meeting through Friday, May 18, at 1 pm.
• China painting Wednesdays at 9 a.m. and a creative writing class led by KayDee Powell at 10.
• Yoga at 6:30 p.m. and cost is $24 for 6 weeks or $6 per class.
• Bocce Ball kick-off in Bender Field on Wednesday, May 16.
• Stretch exercise class led by Dolly. Thursday evening is game night. Come on in to play your favorite games.
• Volunteer appreciation party Thursday, May 31 and the pool tournament on Thursday mornings.
• Birthday celebration day is the third Thursday of the month.
Fill in with your favorite things, reading, talking, exercising, crafting, there is always plenty to do.
• Tai Chi, taught by Dennis Day, is 8:30 a.m.
• Dance and accompanying music on Saturday, May 26.
• Pancake breakfast is the third Saturday of the month.
• Pool tournament
See you at our center. Have a very merry month of May!