Young At Heart
By JoAn Newby
The Blaine Senior Center seniors had a really great time
on August 8.
The ideal weather and the lovely Hovander Homestead Park made for an ideal setting for the annual all county senior picnic. Folks from all the county’s senior centers got to visit with each other and enjoy the good, fellowship, information booths, gifts and prizes, outdoor activities and fun for everyone.
Saturday, August 25
• “Double Trouble,” a pair of local musicians are coming to play for a dance. Their plan is to play music starting with the dance songs of the forties and progressing through the years, into the Rock and Roll era. Bring family and friends, this is for the whole family.
Monday, August 27
• Bocce Ball Tournament at Bender Field in Lynden. On Friday, August 31 we plan to play Bocce in Everson with the Bocce players there.
Tuesdays and Thursdays
• Stretch exercise classes are at 9:30 a.m. The exercises are easy and fun so maybe you should give them a try. There is a Bible study group at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesdays. There will a new study beginning soon, perhaps a study of the gospel of Matthew.
• China painting class continues throughout the summer at 9 a.m. This could get you started in a wonderful new adventure of China painting.
• The cancer support group meets the 2nd and 4th Monday mornings in August. This is led by our very own personable, Toni Peller. Come and enjoy her sense of humer, and insight.
• There is Bowling For Fun at Mt. Baker Lanes in Ferndale, the 1st and 3rd Mondays at 2 in the afternoons.
• The kayaking trips filled up quickly. If you are yearning to go, get your name on the waiting list!
• Sheila, who has provided the center with excellent meals, has become the activities director.
• We are saddened that Cam Oliver is planning to leave his position at our center, but glad he will be in Bellingham. He will be the official coordinator of the Bellingham senior center. Our Blaine center will be getting a new coordinator soon.
• Another great picnic is coming in August and it will be our annual Freeman ranch picnic. Mark your calendars for August 31 for this one. There will be good food, music and friends.
Enjoy the day at this beautiful and relaxing location.