As required by state law, the city of Blaine has updated its six-year transportation plan. In a presentation to city council at its regular meeting on Monday night, assistant public works director Bill Bullock offered a long list of needed road improvements.
Top of the list? The realignment of Peace Portal Drive, Bell Road and the I-5 exit 274 interchange.
First step in the project calls for an environmental review and preliminary design. On completion, the interchange would become a four-way exit and entrance interchange. Currently, there is only one exit northbound and one entrance southbound. The project would also result in a 90 degree realignment of Peace Portal and Bell Road. (See a diagram of the project on page 6.)
Other projects high on the list include the phase one reconstruction of H Street from Ludwick to Terrace, the refurbishment of the Marine Drive gateway and railroad crossing, the Peace Portal bike path from Cherry to Bayview and the downtown H Street revitalization.
Council member Scott Dodd asked about building a pedestrian bridge across the truck route at Boblett Street. “I don’t want to wait until someone gets hurt before building it.” Bullock expressed willingness to place it higher on the list but cautioned council members that the low pedestrian traffic would mean outside funding of the project would be highly unlikely. “It just wouldn’t qualify under the typical traffic we see there,” he said.
Other items include city-wide safety projects, pavement rehabilitation and minor construction jobs. Six-year Transportation Plan
1. I-5 Exit 274 Interchange/Environmental Review & Preliminary Design
2. H Street Reconstruction – Phase 1 (Continued), Ludwick to Terrace
3. Marine Drive Gateway & Rail Crossing (Phase II), Peace Portal to start of Phase I
4. Peace Portal Bike/Pedestrian Path, Cherry to Bayview
5. H Street – Downtown Revitalization, Peace Portal to Harrison
6. I-5 Overpass Pedestrian Approach Ramp Retrofit, H St, Mitchell, Hughes
7. 12 Street Safety/Traffic Calming, D Street to H Street
8. Boblett/SR 543 Signalization, Boblett & SR 543
9. D Street Reconstruction & Safety Improvements - SR 543-Allen
10. Hughes Avenue/Peace Portal Intersection Realignment
11. E Street Reconstruction, 6th Street to 12th Street
12. Boardwalk Pedestrian Rail Overpass (H Street to Milhollin)
13. Marine Drive & Boardwalk (Phase 3), LPWRF to public pier
14. H Street Reconstruction – Phase 2, Terrace to Harvey
15. “Mott’s Hill” Parkway (D/E St) Realignment, Allen to Jerome
16. Hughes Avenue Reconstruction - Peace Portal to Odell
17. Yew Avenue Repairs & Overlay, Hughes to Boblett