Blaine family loses everything in house fire

Published on Thu, Aug 26, 2010 by By Tara Nelson

Read More News

A family of three is trying to get back on their feet after a fire destroyed their Blaine home early Tuesday morning.

North Whatcom Fire and Rescue officials responded to a call at about 2 a.m. about a structure fire on California Trail Road. The home belonged to Brian and Danielle McCord, of Blaine. The McCords said the fire destroyed all of their belongings, leaving them with nothing but the keys to their vehicle. NWFRS assistant chief Henry Hollander said the fire may have been caused by faulty wiring in the family’s hot tub.

Marinda Pugh, financial development director with the Mount Baker Chapter of The American Red Cross, said volunteers gave the McCord family financial resources for food, clothing, shoes, storage containers and comfort kits with basic hygiene items. The Red Cross also paid for a night’s stay at the Windmill Inn in Lynden before transferring the family to another motel and help them find a new living situation.

To donate to the family’s recovery efforts, visit www.mtbredcross.org or call 733-3290.