Police Report -- August 04, 2005

Published on Thu, Aug 4, 2005
Read More Police


August 1: A resident reported her green and brown colored Ball Python snake escaped from her home in the 1600 block of Peace Portal Drive. The Whatcom County Humane Society was contacted and responded to the area to search for the snake, but it was not located. Humane Society personnel do not believe the reptile presents a threat to any people or domestic animals. The snake will likely feed on small rodents, which will be abundantly available on these summer nights, and sun itself up a tree during the day. The snake has lived in a domestic situation all its life and is described by the owner as not dangerous. The humane society described this type of snake as docile. This type of reptile is slow moving and this particular snake is likely to be very near its owner’s home. Humane society personnel believe it is most likely still hiding somewhere in the owner’s home or yard, blending easily with the vegetation.

July 31: A citizen reported being assaulted by her estranged husband. Officers attempted to locate the suspect to no avail. Officers located the suspect the following day, and he was booked into Whatcom County Jail on charges of assault fourth, domestic violence.

July 31: A woman contacted police to report her 13-year-old daughter as missing. The mother and daughter had been over at a friend’s house and the child suddenly ended up missing. The officer called the child’s home and she answered the phone. The mother and daughter were reunited.

July 30: Officers were advised of a landlord tenant dispute in the 1300 block of Runge Avenue. Upon arrival officers found roommates in a verbal altercation over non-payment of rent. One roommate moved out and the other was satisfied by the exit.

July 30: An officer observed a 2002 Chevy pickup in the ditch at Peace Portal Drive and Mitchell Avenue. The evidence indicated the driver may have been impaired, because there were no skid marks or attempts to stop the vehicle. An officer called the registered owner’s home and learned from another occupant there that the driver had left the house about 10 minutes before the officer had discovered the accident. The driver left the scene and was not located. The vehicle did not appear to be damaged.

July 30: A resident in the 600 block of C Street discovered his neighbor’s children had accidentally peppered his pickup with two yellow paint ball shots. An officer contacted the children’s mother and advised her of the complaint. The children cleaned up their mess with the victim’s approval. No further police action was requested.

July 29: A resident in the 300 block of 11th Street reported that a neighbor’s cat had set off her house alarm, causing her to receive a false alarm notification from the police. The resident requested the police contact the owner of the cat and advised them to keep it away from her house. An officer made contact with the cat owner and they were advised of the complaint.

July 29: The police were advised that a resident’s cat was missing from the 100 block of 10th Street. The owner believed it had been poisoned and removed from his property because it was a loud animal. The officer found no evidence that this had occurred. A description of the missing feline was provided to patrol, so they could keep an eye out for it.

July 29: A resident requested police assistance when her house in the 800 block of Adelia Street was invaded by flying insects. Officers discovered a colony of wasps and advised the homeowner to contact a pest control business.

July 29: A child on an electric scooter was hit by a vehicle that was about to exit an alleyway in the 200 block of Martin Street. The child received an abrasion on her elbow. The driver of the vehicle left the scene. Under investigation.

July 27: Officers were dispatched to an assault in progress at the bus stop in front of city hall. A 25-year-old transient from Tennessee was arrested for threatening to cut another transient with a knife. The man was booked into Whatcom County Jail.

July 27: An officer received information about a man who impersonated a Blaine police officer in an internet chat room to impress a new friend. The impersonator contacted police by phone after his ruse was discovered, admitted his mistake and gave his true identity to an officer. The case is under review for charges of impersonating a police officer.

July 26: Officers were alerted to a dog-napping that occurred in 1700 block of H Street. A woman’s Chinese Pug was stolen after she had secured him in front of a business, leaving him with a dish of water, and gone inside to make a quick purchase. A description of the suspect was provided to store personnel and then passed on to police, but police were unable to speak to the witness directly. Anyone who may have witnessed the theft or who may have information regarding this crime is asked to contact the Blaine police.

July 26: Officers were dispatched to a report of two males attempting to tip over a port-a-potty at a residential construction site in the 1000 block of Mitchell Street. Officers arrived at the scene within moments of the call and spoke with the complainant who provided a vague description of the suspects. An area check was conducted but the suspects were not located. Extra patrol was provided for the rest of the evening.

July 26: U.S. Border Protection at the Peace Arch port of entry notified the police department of a man who was in possession of 35.3 grams of marijuana and various drug paraphernalia. During their investigation it was found that the subject was a suspect in a robbery in Canada and would shortly be returned to RCMP for that charge. Officers took possession of the contraband for destruction and declined possessing the subject for misdemeanor charges in order to expedite his return to Canada.

July 26: A citizen notified an officer of the location of a juvenile who had a warrant for his arrest. Officers contacted the juvenile on a street corner and confirmed he did have an active warrant. The juvenile was also listed as missing/runaway and is a ward of the state. The 14-year-old boy was booked into Juvenile Detention.