Police Report -- February 16, 2006

Published on Thu, Feb 16, 2006
Read More Police


February 11: Officers contacted a person hanging out behind a local gas station that was about to close for the night. During a routine check, the person was found to have warrants for his arrest out of the Sedro Woolley police department. The person was arrested and transported to the county line, where he was turned over to the custody of a Sedro Woolley officer and booked into the Skagit County Jail.

February 10: An employee of a business in the 400 block of Peace Portal Drive called to request that an officer give an individual a ride to the Lighthouse Mission. Due to a heavy call load, there was not an officer available to provide that assistance. The employee then stated he did not want the person to remain inside the business. An officer contacted the individual and asked him to stay away from the business. He stated he understood the request and was last seen walking away from the business.

February 10: A trailer attached to a tractor/trailer rig went partially in a ditch on State Route 543. The driver tried to make a wide turn, but the motorists traveling the opposite direction did not give him enough room. The Canadian border crossing was closed at the time, and there was a large volume of traffic. An officer stopped all traffic so the truck driver could pull the trailer out of the ditch and make the corner.

February 10: Bellingham police department received information that a man and woman were seen in their city pushing each other around in a store. The couple departed the area in a car registered to a Blaine resident. Bellingham PD requested that an officer check on the welfare of the individuals. An officer located and spoke to the people involved. They did admit to an argument, but stated no assault had taken place. The officer saw no evidence to the contrary. Bellingham police were notified of the contact.

February 9: Shortly after 5 p.m. Blaine police were notified that northbound traffic was no longer being processed by Customs Canada border crossings at the Peace Arch and Pacific Highway truck route crossings. Significant delays on the northbound freeway lanes and the truck route soon resulted. Canadian authorities also stopped southbound traffic on the freeway in Canada as it approached their customs facility, thereby preventing southbound traffic from arriving at the U.S. Customs facility as well, although all U.S. Customs facilities remained open and staffed. Blaine officers, U.S. Border Protection officers, WSP and WSDOT personnel provided traffic control and assisted motorists in the Blaine area until Customs Canada reopened a limited number of traffic lanes at both ports of entry. Blaine police learned that Customs Canada inspectors had ceased inspecting traffic after receiving information that an armed and dangerous suspect wanted in another state might be in the Puget Sound area of Washington and was possibly intending to approach the border. The unarmed Canadian border personnel felt that the situation posed an unsafe working condition, stopped inspecting vehicles and closed the northbound inspection booths. Ultimately, when the inspectional staff declined to return to work, Canadian customs management personnel began processing northbound vehicles shortly after 8 p.m. As of 11 p.m. there were still northbound traffic backups at both Blaine ports of entry.

February 9: Officers received a report of a 911 hang up call. The dispatcher reported having heard yelling in the background before the caller hung up the phone. Officers arrived and contacted the resident who said his son was yelling at them, but left just before police arrived. Officers checked the area for the unruly teenager, but had negative results.

February 8: A homeowner in the 300 block of E Street reported that during early morning hours an unknown person(s) spread garbage around the vehicles in his front driveway, and placed the garbage cans on top of his vehicle. Extra patrol will be provided, and the officer cleared pending any further suspect information or incidents.

February 7: A woman called to report her husband had assaulted her two sons. An investigation revealed the two children, who were both under the age of seven, had injuries which constituted assault of a child in the 2nd degree. The 24-year-old suspect was located the following day and was arrested and booked into Whatcom County Jail.

February 7: A bank employee reported a person had deposited $2,550 worth of fraudulent checks into his account over the weekend. Case under investigation.

February 7: A local daycare employee in the 700 block of Adelia Street reported that over the past several weeks, unknown persons have been shooting paintballs at their business and at customer vehicles that pick up their children in the evening. Upon arrival, the officer noticed several dry paint splotches on the driveway and some on the back of the building. There are no suspects at this time, but extra patrol will be provided.

February 6: An officer stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation in the 800 block of H Street. An investigation found the driver’s privilege to drive was suspended in the 3rd degree. Further checks revealed the tabs on the vehicle actually belonged to another vehicle, and the driver could not produce insurance or registration. The driver, a 22-year-old Blaine woman, was arrested, processed and released with a court date.

February 5: A business employee reported she found suspected blood in a public restroom while she was cleaning it. An officer checked the bathroom and found a small amount of unknown hazmat substance. Officer checked the area, but found no evidence of a crime.