Police Reports: July 1 - July 10, 2012

Published on Wed, Jul 11, 2012
Read More Police

July 1, 3:40 p.m.: An apartment resident on D Street reported that almost $1,000 in electronics had gone missing from his apartment over the past few weeks. The man named people who might have been involved in the taking. Police are investigating the loss of the homebuilt Windows desktop computer, video game system and digital camera.

July 3, 8:27 a.m.: A business called police asking for assistance with people loitering around in front for their property, smoking and leaving ash and cigarette related trash in improper places. An incidence of vandalism had also occurred, when the mast of a small U.S. flag was broken, though the littering and vandalism are believed to be unrelated. Officers are going to contact the nearby business from whence originates the messy smokers, and provide extra patrols when possible.

July 3, 7 a.m.: Following up on information from another agency, Blaine police and U.S. Border Patrol agents searched for a woman possibly driving through the area after threatening to harm her children who were passengers in her sedan. Officers did not locate the vehicle or occupants in Blaine. The originating agency cancelled the watch-for the following day when the family returned safely home.

July 3, 5 p.m.: Police responded to a report of a two year old wandering alone in the roadway on Mitchell Street. Officers arrived, located and returned the toddler to her family with the help of several concerned residents in the area A formal report was filed with Child Protective Services for review and investigation to ensure the girl and her siblings are kept safe.

July 3, 9:23 p.m.: Officers were advised when dispatch received a 911 hang up call from a cell phone somewhere near the 700 block of C Street. Police checked the area and found the caller.  He explained he had been at a house party but things got out of control and he had been asked to leave. Officers found the party and interviewed everyone involved. It it appeared there had been a scuffle, but none of the participants felt that court intervention was necessary to maintain order.

July 3, 9:45 p.m.: Officers on patrol found a travel trailer parked on a residential neighborhood street. The trailer's steps encroached well into sidewalk space, and the trailer's sides had been expanded so that they presented a hazard to passing cars.  A snare, cleverly disguised as a power cord, had been installed between the trailer and a nearby house to catch and trip any sidewalk pedestrians who happened across it. The homeowners were contacted and were very understanding of the officers' concerns and set to work to fix the problems.

July 3, 10:58 p.m.: Police received a call from two frightened young women when a stranger showed up at their front door at 11 p.m. and started peppering them with personal questions. Officers arrived in short order and peppered the gent with a few questions of their own.  It turned out that the man worked for an asset services company, and was there trying to repossess a car. The girls renting the house were glad  to hear that, because the person whom Repo Man was tracking had moved out before they moved in, taking the car with him. The company agent was not glad to hear that, but apologized for the worry he had caused and left to continue his lonely pursuit.

July 4, 1:24 a.m.:  An officer patrolling on Peace Portal Drive and Bell Road at 1:30 a.m. saw a motorist pull up and stop at the intersection, turn off his car's headlights, and then continue driving down the road. The officer and passenger shared looks of amazement at this development as their two cars passed in the night. An inevitable roadside conversation ensued between driver and officer, interrupted occasionally by the driver berating himself for the headlight slip up.  It turns out he had been trying really hard to escape attention, because he was wanted on a felony warrant for scape, driving with a suspended license, and carrying personal use marijuana. The 27-year-old Bellingham resident was arrested, booked into jail for his various misdeeds, but only given a warning for his Freudian slip of the light switch. His still amazed girlfriend from the passenger seat was arrested and released at the scene for marijuana possession and drove her vehicle home after the stop.

July 4, 1:25 p.m.: At the conclusion of the July 4th parade a U.S. Border Patrol agent came upon a young girl who had gotten separated from her parents.  A Blaine officer met the young lady and found out that she lived in town and knew her way home. The officer walked the girl back to her house and turned her over to a guardian.

July 4, 1:35 p.m.: Dispatch broadcast a report of a screaming woman laying on G Street near 8th Street. Border Patrol agents and Blaine police officers arrived on scene and nearby residents helped them tend to the distraught  teenager until medics arrived. The young woman was not injured and no crime was involved in what turned out to be a medical incident.

July 4, 1:45 p.m.: A concerned mother contacted police and the Whatcom County Sheriff’s Office for help when her 12-year-old son went missing after the July 4 parade. An officer interviewed the woman and provided officers and Border Patrol agents with the boy’s description. The boy's dad found him moments later, and police left them to their tearful reunion.

July 4, 2 p.m.: The sights and sounds of the city-wide July 4th celebration proved too stressful for an autistic teenager visiting Blaine with his mom. A volunteer saw the family's distress and suggested that the police might be able to help. A officer met parent and  youngster and offered a pair of police hearing protection shooting muffs. The young man put them on and liked what he didn't  hear. Mom promised to return the muffs as soon as her son finished enjoying the festivities.

July 4, 7:04 p.m.: Police responded to assist a teenager and aid personnel when the kid crashed his skateboard on Harrison Street.  Officers monitored the boy's condition until relieved by medics. It appeared he broke his arm, and a relative took him to the hospital once medics has stabilized his wing.

July 4, 9 p.m.: From about 9 p.m. until midnight an officer worked fireworks enforcement, contacting about a dozen people at five different locations in response to complaints from residents.  All of the folks who were contacted were complying with city and state fireworks laws.

July 5, 8:18 a.m.: A concerned pedestrian contacted a Blaine officer to report that a loose dog was roaming H Street. The man and the officer attempted to catch the black and white scruffy mutt, but the pooch was a little too skittish and the humans a little too slow. Animal Control was advised and dispatched an officer to look for the beast.

July 5, 9:17 a.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of a person suffering a possible medical problem at a bank. While they were in route, dispatch updated the officers, advising them that the problem was actually an activated hold up alarm, and not a medical call. Officers detained and interviewed the man whose furtive behavior in the bank had lead staff there to fear that he was about to stage a hold up. It appeared his bizarre mannerisms were unintentional and not at the moment illegal, through strongly influenced by prior methamphetamine use. The man was released after being checked by medics, and he was advised to leave the property.

July 5, 3:27 p.m.: An E Street resident called police to report several vehicles speeding northbound on 11th and 12th Street. The British Columbia licensed violators were apparently using residential streets as a short cut due to a long northbound border line up on the truck route. Extra patrol was requested.

July 5, 3:33 p.m.: A homeowner on Bayview Avenue came home to discover that burglars and broken in and stole over seventy pieces of jewelry and collectibles.  She called police and an investigation began as she was tallying a report of her loses. An officer determined who committed the crime, arrested the two Blaine men and booked them into jail for burglary, theft and possession of stolen property. The investigation and attempts to recover all the property continues.

July 6, 3:25 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a disturbance at a residence on 14th Street. An officer arrived and found that a woman suffering the effects of methamphetamine had trashed the interior of her home. Medics were called to tend to the victim and transported her to hospital for evaluation and treatment.

July 6, 8:01 p.m.: A person on Peace Portal Drive asked for help with a speeding vehicle on the street next to their house. The reporting party did not recognize the vehicle or its driver, and no license plate was available for the vehicle, described as a black Jeep Cherokee. All officers were advised of the complaint.

July 7, 8:25 p.m.: Semiahmoo Security reported a possible stranded baby seal on the beach near the resort. The Whatcom Marine Mammal Stranding Network was notified.  While officers awaited a call back, a local boat captain advised that the seal was probably not abandoned. He stated that it is common for mother seals to leave the pups in a sheltered area while they go hunt for food. Officers and security cleared the numerous bystanders out of the area so that the mother would feel safe to return, and all officers left the area. The marine mammals network were going to call Semiahmoo Security later to see if the seal was still on the beach.

July 8, 12:05 p.m.: A concerned neighbor heard a lady scream and called the police, giving an approximate location for the source of the scream. An officer tracked the commotion to its source. A family was enjoying a scary movie and had their TV volume turned up way too loud.

July 9, 9:35 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report that a possibly intoxicated driver had just ran his car off the side of Peace Portal Drive just south of Hughes Avenue. Officers arrived and found that the driver had already gotten a ride from the scene.  He was arrested a short time later in the county by Washington State Patrol. A trooper found the man trying to drive a tractor from his farm in Custer back to Blaine to drag his car out of the ditch.

July 10, 6:20 p.m.: A woman called to report that her boyfriend had left for work the day before and did not return. Coincidentally, his 11-year-old daughter had been gone the same length of time. Police spoke with several of the man's acquaintances and ultimately with the gent himself.  He explained that he and his daughter were fine, and had left his now former girlfriend to make a fresh start somewhere else.