Police Reports: November 20 - November 27, 2012

Published on Wed, Nov 28, 2012
Read More Police

November 20, 10:31 a.m.: A woman and her adult daughter were threatened by an adult relative who chased them through the family home during a domestic dispute. The women took refuge in a bedroom and closet, and called police for help. Officers responded, made the scene safe and investigated. The 46-year-old man involved was arrested.

November 20, 12:42 p.m.: Police responded when a teenager reportedly overdosed on medication that was given to her by a friend. The victim was transported to the hospital by medic personnel, accompanied by a parent. The incident was investigated by officers and a case report forwarded to the juvenile prosecutor’s office for review.

November 20, 2:54 p.m.: After an aid call to a relative’s home, a resident found a glucose monitoring kit that had been left at the scene by the first responders. She brought the equipment in to the police department, and an officer delivered it to North Whatcom Fire and Rescue.

November 20, 4:23 p.m.: A high voltage electrical line problem tripped Blaine City Light’s protective circuits, and the lights went out on Georgia Street and most of town. While a utility crew repaired the problems, police provided traffic control at intersections where the signals had failed and checked on darkened businesses. One resident was at risk because she had no backup supply for her home oxygen system, which required electricity. Blaine’s auxiliary communications service team responded with a portable generator to help her during the outage. Power to most of the city was restored within the hour.

November 20, 5:10 p.m.: Police were leaving a call at a multifamily housing complex when a smoke alarm sounded from an upstairs unit. An officer contacted the apartment’s lone resident and found that the elderly lady had decided to take a nap when her building’s power went off. Unfortunately she nodded off and forgot about the meal she’d been cooking on the stove when the power failed. She was fast asleep when the lights and the stove came back on, so dinner’s charcoal remains and the police at her door were garnish to her rude awakening in a smoke-filled apartment. The officer helped her turn off her appliances and ventilate the unit.

November 20, 5:45 p.m.: A couple contacted an officer at the police station to report that their family’s cat was missing from its home near Boblett and 4th Street. They described “Ben” as a large overweight friendly 10-year-old orange-and-white striped creature. He was normally very good about not venturing far from the family’s doorstep. All officers were advised of the watch-for, and for the next several days they kept an eye out without success. Finally, five days after his disappearance, Ben showed back up at home, looking a little lean and smelling of must and fuel. Ben’s owner suspects the cat got locked in someone's garage over the Thanksgiving weekend.

November 20, 8 p.m.: A business on H Street counted their day’s receipts, found a counterfeit U.S. $10 bill, and called police. The employees had no idea who passed the fake note. An officer confiscated the item and forwarded it to the Secret Service.

November 21, 4:59 p.m.: A business called police to report a fight in progress aboard a bus in their mall parking lot. Police and U.S. Border Patrol agents arrived and determined that no assault had occurred. The ruckus turned out to be a bunch of young passengers yelling at each other aboard a party bus.

November 21, 11:30 a.m.: While investigating a domestic violence assault at a residence, officers learned that a separate act of assault against two adult relatives had been committed by the same suspect at the home about a week earlier. Police investigated the prior incident and prepared a report for the city prosecutor for review of charges against the man.

November 21, 9:30 p.m.: A business reported they were counting the cash at the end of the day and found a counterfeit U.S. $20 bill in their receipts. The employees did not know who passed the counterfeit bill, and an officer confiscated it for the Secret Service.

November 22, 11:05 a.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of two boys fighting on 8th Street. An officer arrived to find 12- and 9-year-old brothers walking down the street. They admitted to horsing around, but were not actually fighting. 

November 22, 11:40 p.m.: An officer backed USBP agents as an unknown person attempted to drive across the border at Harvey Road, then fled northbound after the vehicle got stuck. RCMP initiated a search for the suspect, and USBP impounded the vehicle.

November 23, 12:05 a.m.: U.S. Customs reported they were questioning a person who drove up to a primary booth to gain entry into the U.S. While a Customs Officer was questioning the driver he noticed signs of the driver being under the influence of alcohol. The driver was brought into secondary inspection where a Blaine Police Officer met with the motorist, who failed field sobriety tests. The 31-year-old Federal Way resident was arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol and booked into jail after processing.

November 23, 8:17 p.m.: Police officers assisted U.S. Border Patrol field agents with a report that three border jumpers had entered the U.S. near 6th and A Street in Blaine. The trio split up when they crossed, but all were quickly and peacefully captured within a block of their point of entry.

November 24, 7:46 p.m.: A caller reported to police that a person had called them to say he was going to kill himself. Officers gained entry into the residence and made contact with the victim. He was suffering a mental health crisis and was taken to hospital on an involuntary hold.

November 24, 9:40 p.m.: An officer stopped a vehicle on Adelia Street for a traffic violation and spotted a large open bottle of liquor in the back seat of the vehicle in plain view. The three people in the vehicle were all teenagers, and the driver was arrested for being a minor in possession of alcohol, cited and released. The officer also discovered a large amount of marijuana in a backpack belonging to a passenger. That youth was arrested and booked for possession of marijuana with the intent to deliver.

November 25, 1:05 a.m.: A resident reported that her husband had been beaten up by his nephew-in-law during a domestic dispute. An officer arrived to find that the suspect had already fled the area. The nephew was later located by police and arrested for simple assault involving domestic violence. 

November 26, 3:39 a.m.: U.S. Border Patrol Officer agents stopped a vehicle regarding suspicious activity near the border. While the agent was interviewing the driver he noticed the man might be under the influence of alcohol, and he requested Blaine Police attend. An officer arrived to investigate and found the agent’s concern was justified. The motorist was arrested for DUI and booked into jail after processing.

November 26, 3:09 p.m.: An officer received a request to contact a person who wanted to report some harassing phone calls. The officer arrived and listened to the phone calls and found none of them threatening or harassing. It was unsure when the calls were made and the complainant was unable to provide suspect information except a possible name.

November 26, 7:15 p.m.: A family reported that a gaming console was stolen from their residence when everyone was briefly away from the house. Suspect fingerprints were lifted from the home by police and the case is under investigation.

November 27, 8:33 a.m.: A person reported that while he was away on a commercial crabbing vessel, someone “keyed” every panel on his truck, resulting in an unknown dollar amount of damage. There are no suspects in this case. The reporting person requested a report for insurance purposes, which was provided.