Police Reports: July 16 - July 23, 2013

Published on Wed, Jul 31, 2013
Read More Police

July 16, noon: A business owner called police to report that a couple days earlier he came across a counterfeit U.S. $50 bill while counting his receipts. He had no idea who had brought the fake note into his store. An officer collected the item and turned it over to the U.S. Secret Service.

July 16, 1:38 p.m.: A resident called police for assistance documenting harassment she was receiving. In the latest instance the suspect had driven by the victim and flashed an obscene hand gesture at her. Officers documented the incident and the victim is seeking a restraining order.

July 16, 3:13 p.m.: A resident on Snow Goose Lane called police when he discovered that several accessories had been stolen off a bicycle while it was parked at his home. A pump, speedometer, headlamp and a saddle bag with tire changing tools were stripped from the bike by the thief, who left behind the mounting hardware for the accessories.

July 16, 4:39 p.m.: A youngster living on Alder Street left their unlocked bicycle outside the house and discovered it was missing the next day. Officers are watching for the black and purple Mongoose bicycle with extra foot pegs.

July 16, 4:55 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a business regarding a dispute over payment of a service. Officers contacted both parties and determined no crime had occurred. They stood by while the two parties worked out the issue.

July 16, 4:56 p.m.: A concerned passerby noticed that bags of garbage had been left in the front yard of a house on Harrison Street for several days, creating an eyesore and attracting vermin. An officer went to the home and contacted the resident about the problem. He had just moved in, was doing a lot of work to clean up the property, and just missed the scheduled garbage pick up day. He had already made arrangements to have the refuse hauled to the dump. An officer checked back later to make sure the problem was resolved.

July 16, 9:30 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a verbal dispute on Marine Drive and arrived to find out the boyfriend had ended the argument by running off with his girlfriend’s cell phone. A short time later Border Patrol agents spotted the suspect several blocks away and kept him in sight until police arrived. The young man was drenched from the culverts he’d crawled through and shredded by blackberry brambles. He claimed the cell phone he was holding was his, until an officer asked him to prove it by entering the unlock code. The 30-year-old Blaine resident was arrested for theft, and his ex-girlfriend got her telephone back.

July 17, 8:20 a.m.: Police responded to a home on 4th Street when residents discovered that a bicycle had been stolen overnight from their fenced back yard. There are no suspects at this time, and officers are looking for a red and silver NEXT brand women’s bicycle.

July 17, 10:10 a.m.: A family called police for assistance restraining a young family member who had become violently out of control. Officers arrived and assisted the family, and a fire department aid crew transported the youngster to hospital for evaluation for a pre-existing condition that causes the outbursts.

July 18, 1:09 p.m.: An employee spotted a man apparently urinating in bushes near the business and called police. Officers contacted a transient who explained he had been frightened by some one or some thing and was struck by an urgent need to relieve himself. He was educated about the repercussions of his actions and promised to not repeat the mistake.

July 18, 3:29 p.m.: Business employees called police when they discovered someone had broken into a secure area and had removed two cases of soda and a case of bottled water. Officers contacted the owner, completed a case report and are investigating the incident. The business will be beefing up its security.

July 18, 3:59 p.m.: A business contacted police asking for assistance in issuing a trespassing warning to a person who had been hanging out on their property but not conducting any business. Officers arrived, investigated and issued an instruction to the transient to depart and to not return. The gentleman complied and the officers returned to patrol.

July 19, 11:09 p.m.: An officer on patrol observed two men racing their vehicles across a mall parking lot in view of several other visitors in the area. Both drivers were contacted, detained and arrested for reckless driving. A 24-year-old from Blaine and a 17-year-old from Surrey, B.C. were released with criminal citations pending their appearance in court.

July 20, 3:10 p.m.: An officer stopped a vehicle that was speeding on H Street near Mitchell Street. While addressing the speed violation the officer found that the motorist’s privilege to drive in this state had been suspended years earlier when he failed the take care of an earlier traffic ticket in Washington. The 31-year-old driver from Surrey, B.C. was cited for speeding and for driving while suspended. His car was left parked and locked until his bride arrived from Canada to drive it home for him.

July 21, 6:15 a.m.: A patrol officer located and removed more than 75 garage sale signs that had been illegally posted on utility poles, traffic signs and most other vertical surfaces across town. Some of the signs had been nailed to live ornamental landscaping trees, and others were affixed with unsightly swaths of duct tape. All of them were in violation of Blaine Municipal Code (section 5.44.030) and were discarded.

July 21, 11:20 a.m.: Police patrolling a residential neighborhood observed two old toilet assemblies sitting on city right of way with a “Free” sign. An officer flushed out the person in control of the commodes, and advised them remove the sanitary statuary by day’s end.

July 21, 4:15 p.m.: A man called police asking for help retrieving some personal property. He explained that his girlfriend had posted $3,000 to bail him out of jail the night before, and had rented a motel room in Blaine where they could stay. The gentleman was now upset because the lady wanted to hold on to a $147 check the jail issued to him when he was released. An officer spoke with the woman, retrieved the man’s check and delivered it back to the man along with an admonition to not bother the lady any further.

July 21, 6:14 p.m.: Residents on 10th Street called police when a reckless driver twice tore through their neighborhood at a speed they estimated at over twice the speed limit. Witnesses got a good look at the driver and recorded his car’s license number. Officers located the suspect vehicle and contacted the driver. A report for reckless driving and other traffic violations is being prepared for the prosecutor.

July 21, 9:24 p.m.: Police found an occupied disabled vehicle at an intersection on Peace Portal Drive. With the help of elbow grease and a big wrench, an officer was able get the vehicle was moved off the roadway. 

July 21, 11:22 p.m.: A resident on 10th Street returned home in the evening to discover that while they were gone someone stole an unlocked dark blue BMX-style boy’s bicycle that had been sitting in front of the home. Officers are watching for the bike.

July 22, 7:04 a.m.: Police received a call from a Semiahmoo resident who had found an older golden lab near his house. An officer left a message with the humane society and the homeowner offered to keep the critter at his house until animal control could retrieve it.

July 22, 2:08 p.m.: U.S. Customs inspectors at the Peace Arch port of entry called police when they found that a person returning from Canada was carrying un-prescribed medications. A Blaine officer responded, investigated and arrested the suspect for felony possession of drugs. Amounts of several different controlled substances and other property were impounded, and the 45-year-old Bellingham resident was booked in to jail.

July 22, 2:46 p.m.: A business called police to report a found bicycle on their property. An officer arrived and took custody of the Schwinn and booked it into evidence pending location of its owner.

July 23, 10:39 p.m.: A parent asked police for help after being bitten by her child, who had become assaultive due to a medical condition. At the parent’s request the child was transported to hospital by an aid unit for evaluation, and mom was treated by medics for her bite.