Police Reports: August 20 - August 27, 2013

Published on Wed, Aug 28, 2013
Read More Police

August 20, 2:24 p.m.: Canada Border Services officers at the truck crossing reported that a small black dog, ironically part border collie, had illegally crossed into Canada by sneaking around vehicles in the line up. The pooch was collared and deported back to the US. Blaine Police took custody of the border jumper and transferred it to the Whatcom Humane Society.

August 20, 7:05 p.m.: A pedestrian walking on H Street at Grant Avenue was legally crossing the street when an approaching car failed to yield and almost ran her over. She called police and they tried unsuccessfully to locate the white Mercury Sable station wagon, but it had already left the area. 

August 20, 10:02 p.m.: A Canadian citizen came to Blaine to do some business, and several hours later had still not returned home. Worried family members called Blaine Police and the RCMP to report him as missing. Officers spent several hours contacting everyone who had contacted the gentleman on this side of the border. It was the next day before he turned up in another part of Whatcom County, surprised that folks had been concerned about him.

August 21, 8:50 a.m.: A resident called to report that a boat and trailer combination had been parked in front of a business for the last few days, unattended and not moving. An officer tagged the vehicle for impound the following day, and its owner moved it off of the public right of way, solving the problem.

August 21, 1:39 p.m.: An passerby called to report seeing people crabbing from the pier on Marine Drive on a day that crab fishing was not permitted. An officer contacted two 13-year-old sportsmen, advised them that the fishery was closed and suggested that they return on the morrow, when crab capturing would be legal. They were disappointed but cooperative; pulled up their gear and called back their parents who had just dropped them off.

August 21, 2:26 p.m.: A proprietor called police to report that four boys were skateboarding in front of businesses in a mall, in violation of “No Skateboarding” signs. The same group of youths had repeatedly ignored prior pleas to cease. This time officers stopped and identified the youths and permanently trespassed them from skateboarding on the business property at the owner’s request. An officer impounded two of their skateboards and turned them over to their parents later in the day, along with an explanation of what had occurred.

August 21, 3:40 p.m.: Police were dispatched to an activated intrusion alarm at a residence in a Semiahmoo neighborhood. All officers were tied up on other complaints, but responded as soon as they were able. They found that the residence was secure. Two small but well-meaning guard dogs were on duty downstairs at the home, and a false alarm notification was sent to the responsible party.

August 21, 6:46 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a 911 hang up at a home in Semiahmoo. An officer responded and discovered that the resident actually had been trying to report a medical emergency. The homeowner switched to another phone after the disconnect and an aid unit responded to assist.

August 21, 7:15 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a home in Blaine on a report that a resident was undergoing continued telephone harassment by an adult relative. An officer responded to the house, gathered electronic evidence and forwarded a case report for review by the prosecutor.

August 22, 12:13 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of a transient standing for several hours on a street corner downtown, talking to no one in particular. An officer contacted the person and found that she was acutely aware of her legal rights to freely move, or freely stand. She declined offers for a ride to another corner of her choosing, but did agree to move out of the area by the crosswalk. This solved the problem for the time being.

August 22, 3:10 p.m.: A resident on D Street called police to report that a significant number of vehicles were speeding through her neighborhood. An officer responded, set up traffic radar in the area and issued citations to violators.

August 22, 3:59 p.m.: Dispatch relayed information that a collision had just occurred in the parking lot of a business on H Street. The caller advised that the driver operating the car that hit his had appeared to be intoxicated. Police arrived and investigated the collision. A Blaine resident was arrested, processed and booked into jail for DUI.

August 22, 7:20 p.m.: Washington State Patrol received reports that a person in a vehicle had pointed a rifle at a passerby on I-5 before taking an off-ramp into Blaine.  Shortly afterward a border patrol agent spotted the vehicle. Agents and Blaine officers kept the area secure until WSP and sheriff’s deputies arrived and assisted taking the suspect in to custody.

August 22, 9:40 p.m.: Police responded to a report of a transient sleeping on a park bench in Marine Park. An officer found the person and advised her that Blaine’s parks were closed during hours of darkness. She agreed to find another place to stay for the evening, but declined to accept a ride to get there.

August 23, 6:23 a.m.: Customs and Border Protection at the Peace Arch port of entry intercepted a B.C. driver whose Washington driving privilege had been suspended for an unpaid ticket. An officer arrested the man for DWLS 3rd, cited and released him pending his appearance in court.

August 23, 9:20 a.m.: A man came into the Blaine Police Department to report that his dinghy had been stolen off of his yacht while it was moored Blaine Marina some time in the past. So far there are no suspects in the theft.

August 23, 5:30 p.m.: A resident submitted a complaint regarding the number of speeding vehicles on the city’s streets. The reporting party asked for additional police enforcement and more speed limit signs. An officer was assigned to meet with her about her observations and gather information about where and when the violations were most often occurring.

August 23, 5:49 p.m.: While patrolling a residential area, police noticed smoke rising from a backyard. Officers contacted the homeowner and advised him of the burn ban and the rules against burning trash. The resident apologized and immediately corrected the issue.

August 24, 3 a.m.: Blaine police contacted a man they spotted wandering around near D Street and 2nd Street. The traveler explained that he had been riding a freight train up in Canada but the locomotive and cars ventured south and he had entered the U.S. accidently. The man said he had been riding the train with his older brother, but they became separated after they jumped off the train near the south end of town. The man was turned over to border patrol agents. A search of the area did not turn up the missing brother.

August 26, 3:48 p.m.: A resident came into the police department to report that someone has been tampering with the mailboxes at her apartment complex. An officer took a report about the problem and the resident stated that the post office was looking into the matter as well. 

August 26, 6:25 p.m.: A Blaine resident called to report the theft of two Apple iPad computers from their residence. An officer responded and initiated an investigation.

August 26, 7:10 p.m.: An officer spotted a person pushing a shopping cart on H Street and noticed that it was one belonging to a Blaine business. The officer contacted the cart driver who explained he was not stealing the cart but rather “borrowing” it. The acquisitive traveler was advised about the laws specifically crafted to protect the state’s flock of shopping carts. He decided to immediately return the “borrowed” cart.

August 27, 12:29 p.m.: A store clerk called police to report that a person had difficulty maintaining balance while on foot and was just then was driving away in a car. Officers responded in time to observe the customer cause a minor fender bender with another vehicle. No one was injured, and following an investigation the driver was arrested, processed to DUI and booked into jail. Her vehicle was impounded.