Police reports: March 26 - April 1, 2014

Published on Wed, Apr 2, 2014
Read More Police

March 26, 2 p.m.: A person who is taking care of a relative’s property in Blaine called police when she discovered that a $500 television set was missing from the house. A suspect in the taking has been identified and easily located as he was recently jailed on other offenses. Officers are continuing follow-up on the new case and completing another prosecution report.

March 26, 5:48 p.m.: A resident came to the police station to report the loss of a laptop computer worth about $400. The victim had loaned the computer to a friend, and when she asked for it back the friend was not able to find it in her home. Officers are making checks to see if the computer has turned up in pawnshops or online.

March 27, 11:16 a.m.: Police were called when adults learned that two kids had been approached by a man they did not know near Mitchell and H streets a day earlier. The stranger had asked the children if they had seen his missing dog. Officers investigated and with the aid of school officials and helpful parents determined that the contact was legitimate. The man had indeed been looking for, and found, his wandering canine companion.

March 27, 11:24 a.m.: Blaine school district called police when a student left campus without permission during school hours. Officers intercepted the lad a few blocks away. He was riding a bicycle and admitted that he did not know who owned it, but knew that it was not his. There were extenuating circumstances at play, and police returned the boy to school then placed the bike into safekeeping until its owner could be contacted.

March 27, 12:30 p.m.: Officers responded to a non-injury, non-blocking collision on H Street near 3rd Street, and found both cars drivable and off the roadway. The low-speed crash happened when one driver attempted to park in front of another auto parked at the curb, but misjudged the distance between vehicles. Police facilitated the exchange of information between drivers and completed a collision report.

March 27, 12:49 p.m.: An apartment complex resident called police to report loud music coming from a neighboring unit. An officer contacted the source apartment and found a family celebrating a one-year-old’s birthday. They apologized for the inconvenience and were encouraged to continue their party with wild abandon and diminished volume.

March 27, 5:02 p.m.: A passerby called police to report overhearing a man and woman arguing inside a residence. Police responded to the area and contacted the couple. Following an investigation they arrested the male half, a 35-year-old Blaine resident. He was booked into jail for fourth degree assault involving domestic violence.

March 27, 5:20 p.m.: Police investigated a domestic violence complaint and arrested an adult on Bayview Street. While making the arrest the officers found that the man was in possession of what appeared to be stolen property and evidence of additional crimes. Officers established probable cause for the property crimes and completed a felony case report for prosecution.

March 27, 6:30 p.m.: Police were dispatched after a customer reported finding a business unlocked but no one around. A Blaine officer searched the building with the help of a U.S. Border Patrol agent. No one was found inside, and nothing was obviously missing. It appeared an employee simply forgot to lock the doors as he or she left work. Officers notified a business representation, and closed and locked the business.

March 28, midnight: A resident called his neighbor to complain about the neighbor loudly stomping on the floor over the caller’s head. The stomping neighbor counter-complained that his stomping was just a response to the caller’s blaring video games and overly dense odor of burning marijuana. Police were called, and when the smoke had cleared both parties decided to exercise restraint for the remainder of the night.

March 28, 9:11 a.m.: Employees at a business found a small packet of a suspicious substance abandoned on their floor and called police. Officers responded and collected the material. Whoever had dropped his personal-use stash of methamphetamine did not fidget forward to identify himself or report the loss, and the drug was impounded for destruction.

March 28, 2:27 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a residential neighborhood where an unidentified man was sleeping in a parked van in the middle of day. The arriving officers found that the gentleman was a contractor working at the reporting party’s job site, and he was taking a siesta following a large lunch.

March 28, 11:46 p.m.: A concerned caller reported a car driving erratically south on Mitchell Street from H Street, possibly piloted by an intoxicated driver. Police located the car nearby, now parked legally off the road at the owner’s residence. The man in the driver’s seat was not intoxicated, but was warned to not drive because his Washington driver’s license was suspended.

March 29, 7:32 p.m.: A child custody debate between parents sparked several calls to the police. An officer met with the parties and found that the problem stemmed from a misinterpretation of a document. There was no evidence that a court-ordered parenting plan was in place, and the officer explained that until one was executed each parent had equal right to custody and visitation. They were advised the dispute needed to be resolved through mediation, civil process and the courts.

March 30, 3:42 a.m.: U.S. Border Patrol responded to Peace Arch Park to check a report of a female walking in the area. It was fortunate that the agents found the lady. She was very intoxicated, disoriented, clad only in a towel and bleeding from fresh cuts and scrapes to her legs. The agents immediately called for medical aid and police. The woman declined transport to hospital but agreed to talk to police, and officers learned that she was a victim of poor judgment and a poor sense of direction rather than a crime. The 30-something Bellingham resident had come to Blaine to settle a dare by making a video of herself leaping into Drayton Harbor to post on the Internet. She drank too much alcohol while steeling her nerves though, and then got separated from the friend who was acting as her chauffeur and photographer. She had wandered for some time, lost in the scratchy underbrush with only her towel for company until the border patrol agents found her. Police located the worried and sober friend who had been out driving around looking for the inebriate starlet, confirmed their tale of misadventure, and reunited the two.

March 30. 3:20 p.m.: A concerned passerby called police dispatch to report seeing an injured eagle in a roadside swale along Semiahmoo Parkway. Officers responded and located the young raptor, which was out for a daily constitutional. The bird took offense at the pedestrian’s suggestion of a ride and took flight instead.

March 30, 10:15 p.m.: A border patrol agent stopped to help a disabled motorist with a flat tire on I-5 but found that the occupants did not have a tool to operate their jack or remove the lug nuts from their import auto. A Blaine officer responded to assist, but was also defeated by the cold reality of metric steel. In the end, the officers helped by calling a tow company at the driver’s request.

March 31, 12:45 p.m.: A resident called police to report the theft of an expensive item that he shipped from a facility in Blaine. A crime report was initiated and the victim is assisting police in an investigation to locate the property and identify the people responsible.

April 1, 3:11 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of possibly intoxicated driver traversing a residential street. The person was contacted after she had already safely parked her car off the roadway. The driver, an un-impaired senior citizen, had a clear and valid license and was advised of the report that she had been driving erratically.

April 1, 3:54 p.m.: Police were (again) dispatched to a report of a possibly injured eagle standing alongside Semiahmoo Parkway. The arriving officer recognized the raptor as one who’d flown away from a similar call earlier in the week. This time the eagle still presented no obvious injuries, but it could not or would not take flight. Volunteers from Northwest Wildlife Rehabilitation Center were called, and responded to take the bird under their wing.

April 1, 4:37 p.m.: A person reported the business they manage has recently received multiple letters from an upset person. The communications are fractured and confusing, and the increasing frequency of their arrival is causing consternation. The documents have been turned over to police for review and action as needed, and officers are investigating.