Police Reports: May 14 - 19, 2014

Published on Wed, May 21, 2014
Read More Police

May 14, 12:35 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a business in the 1700 block of H Street when clerks there encountered a customer with a counterfeit U.S. bill. An officer identified the passer and impounded the note from the patron, who said he had received it from his wife, who handles money in her work in B.C. The counterfeit note was sent to the U.S. Secret Service.

May 14, 5:26 p.m.: Police were dispatched to a report of a misdemeanor assault on Mitchell Avenue in Blaine. Officers contacted a teenager victim who reported two other kids he knew had struck him. The two suspects had run from the scene and were found nearby. Everyone was interviewed and a case report for assault was forwarded to the juvenile prosecutors office for review.

May 14, 8:55 p.m.: A concerned passerby called police dispatch in the evening to report hearing someone screaming at a nearby residence. Officers deployed around the home, approached and entered. The police found that the victims inside were the quiet ones; it was their tired toddler who was holding his parents hostage with his exhausted cries about having to go to sleep.

May 14, 9:30 p.m.: Border patrol contacted a transient who reported he was sleeping in the woods along H Street Road. The man asked for assistance getting to somewhere warm and out of the weather. A Blaine police officer transported the traveler to a homeless shelter in Bellingham.

May 15, 1:03 p.m.:  Someone used a Blaine resident’s debit card account number to withdrawal money from an ATM machine in Blaine. Police are investigating, and the business’ staff is reviewing surveillance camera video to locate images of the suspect.

May 15, 3:07 p.m.: An officer was dispatched to a business on H Street when a patron presented a suspected counterfeit $50 bill. The officer arrived and confirmed that the currency was fake and interviewed the B.C. resident who passed the note. The counterfeit was impounded and a report forwarded to the U.S. Secret Service.

May 16, 10:09 a.m.: Employees at a business in the 1300 block of H Street asked police to attend and take a report after a small tour bus struck their building. The driver and the manager of the business exchanged information and a report was completed.

May 16, 10:22 a.m.: Blaine Middle School called to request a welfare check on a student that had been absent from school for six days after they were unable to contact a parent. An officer checked on the lad and found he was at home sick and waiting for a follow up call from the doctor. The young man is expected to return to school next week and the school was notified.

May 16, 11:45 a.m.: A resident contacted police to report that a man she did not know had trespassed onto her property in the late evening and early morning hours, and appeared to be using what looked like a cell phone to take photos of her home. Neighbors were interviewed to locate any additional witnesses and extra patrols are being made in the area.

May 16, 1:38 p.m.: During a routine check of a license plate, an officer learned that the registered owner of the vehicle was wanted on an arrest warrant. The woman behind the wheel was identified as the owner. She was arrested and transported to jail after receiving a citation after receiving a ticket for driving without proof of insurance.

May 16, 7 p.m.:  Officers on foot patrol found the skate park had been vandalized with several images of graffiti. An officer contacted several juveniles in the area, and it appeared they either recognized the graffiti or knew of a suspect. A request to repair the damage was forwarded to the city’s public works department.

May 16, 8:05 p.m.: Officers contacted a transient trespassing on BNSF property. He was given a trespass warning and voiced his intention of traveling to Seattle. Police provided him a courtesy transport to the Lighthouse Mission to help facilitate his travel.

May 17, 12:22 a.m.: While on patrol officers stopped a vehicle for a speed violation. The driver was determined to be driving under the influence of alcohol. The Birch Bay resident was arrested, processed and booked into jail.

May 17, 9:08 a.m.: Officers were dispatched to report of a domestic violence assault in progress at a residence. Officers arrived, investigated and arrested the 27-year-old primary aggressor. The Blaine resident was booked into jail on charges of assault and interfering with reporting of domestic violence.

May 17, 4:24 p.m.: Police were dispatched to Cost Cutter when employees caught a person stealing merchandise. An officer arrived and arrested a Blaine resident for shoplifting. The woman was cited and released with a mandatory summons to court to answer to the charge.

May 17, 5:10 p.m.: An officer contacted the driver of a vehicle playing his car’s stereo downtown at a high enough volume for the officer to feel the music in his patrol car. The driver of the vehicle was stopped and issued an infraction after he fibbed about not having recently received a warning for the same violation from another officer. The teen’s parents were notified about the incident.

May 19, 9:02 a.m.: An officer investigated a two-car collision at the intersection of 8th and G streets. Front-end damage to both vehicles was significant. One juvenile passenger complained of neck pain but did not require medical attention at the time. A driver was issued a citation for failing to yield right of way when making a left turn and driving without insurance. The motorists were both able to limp their cars to their nearby homes.

May 19, 10:23 a.m.: An officer was dispatched to a littering/parking complaint in the alley behind the 300 block of E Street. The officer spoke with the homeowner, photographed the litter and documented his concerns.

May 19, 1:35 p.m.: A woman called police to ask for help with a neighbor who regularly allows his dog to wander off-leash on the easement adjacent to their properties. The dog leaves landmines behind, much to the anguish of the victim’s gardener, who repeatedly discovers them. An officer spoke with the dog's owner, and he agreed to keep the dog in check. Case closed.